Memories of Murder: In 1986, in the province of Gyunggi, in South Korea, a second young and beautiful woman is found dead, raped and tied and gagged with her underwear. Detective Park Doo Man and Detective Cho Yong Koo, two brutal and stupid local detectives without any technique, investigate the murder using brutality and torturing the suspects, without any practical result. Then Detective Seo Tae Yoon from Seoul comes to the country to help the investigations and is convinced that a serial killer is killing the women. When a third woman is found dead in the same “modus-operandi”, the detectives find leads of the assassin.
- Movie: Memories of Murder
- Revised romanization: Salinui Chueok
- Hangul: 살인의 추억
- Director: Bong Joon-Ho
- Writer: Bong Joon-Ho, Shim Sung-Bo, Kim Kwang-Rim
- Producer: Cha Seoung-Jae, Kim Moo Ryung, Lee Kang-bok, No Jong-yun
- Cinematographer: Kim Hyung-Ku
- Release Date: May 2, 2003
- Runtime: 128 Min
1986 Gyunggi Province. The body of a young woman is found brutally raped and murdered. Two months later, a series of rapes and murders commences under similar circumstances. And in a country that had never known such crimes, the dark whispers about a serial murderer grow louder.
A special task force is set up in the area, with two local detectives Park Doo-Man (Song Kang-Ho) and Jo Young-Goo (Kim Roe-Ha) joined by a detective from Seoul who requested to be assigned to the case, Seo Tae-Yoon (Kim Sang-Kyung). Park personifies the policeman who goes with his instincts and his fists, bloodily challenging every small-time crook in the area to confess. In contrast, Seo pores over evidentiary documents related to the case and inevitably the clash of styles leads to tense rivalry.
From the fact that not a single hair is ever found at the scene, Park takes off to search the area’s temples and public baths for people with follicular disease, while Seo finds a pattern in the evidence of women wearing red on a rainy day as the victim’s profile. On a rainy day, the detectives set up a trap in order to forestall another murder. The next day however, yet another woman is found murdered – with an umbrella speared through her pubis. The solution to the murders grows fainter and drives the detectives to ever greater despair.
- Memories of Murder Torrent Files is based on a true story that occurred in Hwaseong, Gyeonggi Province over the course of six years (1986 – 1991). 10 women were raped and murdered in a 2 km radius ranging from a 71 year-old grandmother to a 13 year old schoolgirl.
- Related titles (based on the true story “Hwaseong serial murder case”):