The Grand Heist takes place in the late 18th century of Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910), during the last years of King Yeongjo’s reign. Ice is a commodity more valuable than gold. Blocks of it are harvested from frozen rivers in winter, put in royal storage and distributed or sold throughout the year for general consumption. When corrupt officials conspire to form a monopoly and fix its price, a gang of 11 professionals is formed to stop the scheme — and to do that they must make all the royal ice blocks in five storage rooms disappear for a night.
- Movie: The Grand Heist (English title) / Gone With The Wind (literal title)
- Revised romanization: Baramgwa Hamjje Sarajida
- Hangul: 바람과 함께 사라지다
- Director: Kim Joo-Ho
- Writer: Kim Min-Sung, Kim Joo-Ho
- Producer: An Dong-Gyu, Cha Ji-Hyun, Kim Min-Sung
- Cinematographer: Lee Sung-Je
- Release Date: August 9, 2012
- Runtime: 121 min.
- Genre: Period / Comedy / Action
Duk-Moo (Cha Tae-Hyun) is the son of a nobleman, but he is also the son of a concubine. Due to the laws and customs of the Joseon Period, Duk-Moo is unable to to get a government position due to his mother’s background. Because of this, Duk-Moo is a book seller in a traditional market. At this time, ice is a high priced commodity and controlled by the royal family. The most powerful nobleman of the era, Jo Myung-Soo (Nam Kyeong-Eup), wants to have exclusive rights to all of the ice. To accomplish his goal, Jo Myung-Soo needs to get rid of Duk-Moo’s father, who is his rival, and Dong-Soo (Oh Ji-Ho), a public officer in charge of the “Seobinggo” (ice warehouse).
With his plan in place, Duk-Moo’s father and Dong-Soo are exiled. Duk-Moo now hatches his own plan to get rid of Jo Myung-Soo. Duk-Moo comes up with the idea to steal all the ice stored in the Seobinggo. In order to accomplish this brazen heist, Duk-Moo recruits the top experts in specific fields needed to steal the ice. With his team now set together, they set out to to make the heist of their lives.
- The Grand Heist starts filming began October 5, 2011 and finished February 29, 2012. The last scene filmed took place at Pocheon, Gyeonggi-do and involved Cha Tae-Hyun, Oh Ji-Ho & Min Hyo-Rin travelling through a cave to steal ice from an ice house (“Seobinggo”).