The Painter of Wind is based on the fictional historical novel “The Painter of the Wind” by Jung-myeong Kee.
Shin Yun Bok is a talented painter who disguises herself as a boy to search for her father’s murderer and meets a master painter who guided her into being a great painter. Kim Hong Do is the man who teaches Yoon Bok how to paint and they develop a strong friendship of mentor and disciple.
- Drama: The Painter of Wind (English title) / Garden of the Wind (literal title)
- Revised romanization: Baramui Hwawon
- Hangul: 바람의 화원
- Director: Jang Tae-Yoo, Jin Hyeok
- Assistant Director: Choi Hyeong-Hun, Song Ji-Won
- Writer: Lee Eun-Young
- Network: SBS
- Episodes: 20
- Release Date: September 24 – December 4, 2008
- Runtime: Wed. & Thurs. 21:55
In 1766, Kang Su-hang, a painter and senior member of Dohwaseo, the Academy of Painting, was found killed after being secretly commissioned by the son of the crown prince who would later become King Jungjo (1752-1800, the 22nd King of the Joseon Dynasty).
The commission was to paint a portrait of the crown prince. Seo Jing, another member of Dohwaseo, was found dead while investigating the death of Kang Su-hang. In addition, Seo Jing’s wife was murdered and his daughter went missing. Ten years later, Kim Hong-do, a senior member of Dohwaseo, discovers Shin Yun-bok, a new student. Hong-do discovers great talent in Yun-bok and tries to protect the student from conspiracies that surround him. King Jungjo also discovers Yun-bok’s enormous talent. Kim Hong-do and Shin Yun-bok serve as the eyes of the king, depicting the true reality of the common people.
- “The Painter of Wind is based on the fictional historical novel “The Painter of the Wind” by Jung-myeong Kee.
- The novel examines the life of 18th century painter Yun-bok Shin. Although highly regarded for his erotic & satrical paintings, there are few documents relating to the painter’s life in the present day. Jung-myeong Kee’s novel then presents the hypothetical question, “What if Yun-bok Shin was actually a girl dressed in men’s clothes?”